About the FDP . . .
The Friends of the Dymock Poets (FDP) was founded in 1993 to:
- Be ‘Friends’ of six poets who had an association with the Dymock area of Gloucestershire,
namely Lascelles Abercrombie, Rupert Brooke, John Drinkwater, Robert Frost, Wilfrid Gibson, and Edward Thomas.
- Promote and encourage, for the public benefit, knowledge and appreciation of the works
and lives of the poets and their families and friends who lived or visited the Dymock area
before and during the First World War.
- Increase public knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and natural history
of Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire border country.
For more about the founding of the FDP, please see
our page on the History of the Friends.
We offer our members:
- Dymock Poets and Friends,
an annual journal containing
original archive material together with essays on the Poets which
relate them to the wider poetic context
- a newsletter with information about forthcoming events, new
books and activities
- lectures, poetry readings, social meetings, publications
- guided walks in the countryside of the Dymock poets
- links with other literary societies
- an annual event to commemorate the first meeting between
Edward Thomas and Robert Frost on 6 October 1913, and the founding
of the FDP exactly eighty years later.
The FDP’s officers and committee are:
- President: Kelsey Thornton
- Chairman & Journal Editor: Jeff Cooper
- Secretary: Chris Cooper
- Treasurer: Val Evans
- Membership Secretary & Vice-Chairman: Simon Payton
- Newsletter Editor: John Monks
- Newsletter Assistant: Ray Canham
- Web Site Designer: Neil Maybin
plus Greg Chambers, Barbara Davis, Bob May, Marion Shoard, Richard Simkin, and Jackie Tweedale.
You can contact us by sending an email to
the society’s Chairman, Jeff Cooper.
For queries about this website, please email
the FDP Webmaster, Neil Maybin.
If you would like to join, please visit our membership page.
For more information on our history,
’History of the FDP‘ page
Linda Hart’s article on the founding of the Friends of the Dymock Poets
All the photos on this website were taken by Linda Hart (chairman of the FDP from 1993-2001)
except for that of Little Iddens on the History page which was taken
by Pugh’s Estate Agency of Ledbury
and which is reproduced with their kind permission.